We all know the struggle of finding something healthy to eat while on the road. Below are some healthy snack options you can find almost anywhere.
1) Raw Nuts - Raw nuts are one of the healthiest snacks you can buy, as long as there is not a lot of added salt. They are loaded with protein and healthy fats to keep you full. You can also mix in a hand full of dark chocolate to make your own, heart healthy trail mix for a lot cheaper than the pre-made options.
2) Cheese - Cheese is full of calcium and protein to keep you full. You can find different cheese snack options, ranging from cheese sticks to pre-made assortments of cheese, fruits, and nuts. These are all good options for a healthy, on- the-go snack.
3) Bananas - Bananas are a great source of energy and are very nutritious. You can now find fresh fruit available in most gas stations. Bananas are an easy on-the-go snack to keep you full and focused.
4) Greek Yogurt - Greek yogurt is full of healthy ingredients, including probiotics, calcium, and protein. There are some Greek yogurts that have added sugar and fats, so make sure you find a healthy brand. Greek yogurt is a healthier alternative to regular yogurt because it is lower in sugar and fat.
5) Protein Bars - Protein bars are a great on the go snack. Look for a protein bar that is low sugar and fat and high in fiber.
6) Hummus - Hummus is a super food, packed with lots of protein and fiber. An added benefit of hummus is that it has a low glycemic index which may help lower blood sugar. Pair hummus with carrots or whole grain crackers for a great snack.
7) Popcorn - Easy to share or eat by yourself, popcorn is a very healthy snack, as long as it is natural and not flavored and full of bad ingredients.
8) Peanut butter - Peanut butter is a good snack full of protein, vitamins and minerals. This snack is higher in calories but is still good to enjoy in moderation. Pair peanut butter with celery or an apple for a healthy protein boost.
These are just a few of the many healthy snacks you can enjoy on the road. Make sure to read the labels and be cautious. Not all gas station snacks are bad!